Monday, October 27, 2014

Let him be a kid

This is my favorite piece of advice......NOT!  I would love to just let Sammy be a kid. Unfortunately, there are things to consider.

At nine, I stayed home from school alone. I participated in sleep-away camp. I rode my bike around my neighborhood. I played in a room separate from my parents at parties. I helped watch younger cousins. My parents had a lock on their door and used it. (totally a foreign concept then, standard now)

These are things that Sammy can't do (yet). He can't be left alone. It's highly unlikely he'll ever be away overnight without a family member. He doesn't have the coordination to ride a bike. Saturday at a party, he was with the other kids and had a seizure, no one came to get us......not even Henry (I think he was too busy playing.....we happened to hear another child crying). Sammy would rather PLAY with the younger kids because he's on their level.  He may like shows like Johnny Test, Casper, and Wild Kratts, but he also likes Teletubbies, Sesame Street, and Pajanimals.  Sammy sleeps right with me every night. Can't tell you how many times I've woken up to be peed on during  a seizure. My bed is now triple sheeted with waterproof pads between.

I would love to sign him up for group sports, after school care, or other activities. And yes, I understand there's a need for him to be a normal kid.  But he's not normal.  He's Sammy normal, just not society's version of nine year old normal.

Ultimately, it's not the random friend or close family member that is responsible for his welfare, we are. There are worse things you can call me than "overprotective" or "sheltering" and I'm glad that there are. In the end, Sammy will be safe.

Sybil will give Sammy some of his independence back, especially sleeping in his own bed/room. He'll be able to walk more steadily. He won't be alone at home or in public.

No comments:

Post a Comment